Monday, March 9, 2015

prayer and meditation

I have been practicing some form of meditation since 1999, my first year as an undergraduate at UNC-Chapel Hill.  I read a book on Taoist meditation techniques and started sitting.  I then I about Zen and started sitting zazen.  My meditation practice was off and on until 2008, when I entered a Methodist seminary in Durham, NC.  I began to be interested in contemplative practices within the Christian church and sought out a mentor for Centering Prayer and started a centering prayer group along with new friends at seminary.  I would say that my love for contemplatives started initially when I discovered Taoist sages, Zen monks, Hindu ascetics, and later early Church Fathers and Mothers. 

I was drawn to the writings of Thomas Merton and encountered Trappist Monks when I was in seminary during a spiritual retreat.  I used to visit Mepkin Abbey (http://mepkinabbey.org/wordpress/) on a more regular basis, and spent a month there as a Monastic Guest while in seminary.  My last year in seminary, I became Catholic.  I tell people that I came into the Catholic Church through the back door, being pulled by the contemplatives of the monastic tradition.

Currently, I am a member of the Religious Society of Friends.  In the eyes of the Catholic Church, I remain Catholic, and only a confession away to be an upstanding member.   

My prayer life consists of daily starting my day with intercessory prayer and silence.  I have set prayers I have memorized, and I go through them to open my heart and mind to the will of a God of my understanding.  I prefer the Quaker term of Divine Presence.  I then sit in silence about 20 minutes, and sometimes invoking the sacred word as taught by Fr. Keating in practicing centering prayer if I get distracted.  I intersperse my prayer life with zazen, more specifically a sitting practice called shikantaza, which roughly translates to just sitting.  I became more disciplined in my sitting while I was in seminary, and often sat with the Buddhist student group.

As a father of a 4 months old daughter, I've had to be little more flexible with my prayer life and meditation practice.  When I awake in the morning, I am often waking up to my daughter getting up to start her day.  I usually change her diaper, read to her, play with her and sing to her about an hour before she takes her first nap of the day.  I pray and meditate while holding her.  I am sitting on a couch rather than on a meditation cushion.  My sitting on a zafu has been irregular, but I still try to just sit when I hold my daughter on my couch.

My night time prayer has been also more fluid and flexible.  I rarely sit on the cushion, but I try to pray and do some deep breathing as I lay in our bed.  I try to open myself to my body sensations, to my own breath and the breathing of my daughter and wife. 

I will try to return to a more disciplined meditation practice, especially with the sitting posture on the zafu once my daughter sleeps through the night [keep your figures crossed :)].     


No comments:

Post a Comment