Saturday, March 28, 2015

getting Winnie to nap: lessons in humility

I've faced many challenges in my life: depression, paying taxes, getting beyond suicidal iterations, finding a job, and etc.  But none of them compare to getting a little baby to nap on her bed.  :)

Winnie loves to nap on my chest, but based on the wisdom of all the parents before me and especially at the suggestion of my lovely wife, I am trying to be consistent about teaching her how to nap in her own bed.  The problem arises a few minutes after I lay her down, and she abruptly wakes up either smiling and laughing or screaming and wailing. 

What does this have to do with spirituality?  There's nothing like a lesson in humility and a call to practice love and tolerance like the presence of a young infant.  I am learning a lesson that my life in community keeps teaching me, which is that I cannot control other people.  However, I can try to be centered and stable inside, so I can show up on a consistent basis. 

The other day, my daughter and I napped in our bed for a whole freaking hour.  It was amazing, and especially needed because she had woken up around 3:30 that morning.  I am learning that we are called to love and practice love, even when we are sleep deprived and tired, and I feel like I have nothing to give.

I never thought I was a rigid person, but I've realized as this lovely new person is constantly changing my routine that I have doggedly become a creature of habit.  I want things to happen when I want them to, even when I have a roughly fluid schedule.  I am working on this with my wife practicing love and tolerance with me.  I don't always see how selfish I am being.  I'll offer up a story to illustrate.  Few months after Winnie was born, we planned to visit our friends in DC.  I had organized a lunch with friends and also set up a place for us to stay, and sort of roughly mapped out what we'd do that weekend.  The night before we were going on the trip, Winnie was not feeling well and I was also starting to feel slightly not so well.  I sort of threw a tantrum when my wife Jocelyn told me we probably should not go tomorrow.

I was really upset and could not get past the plans I had made.  My plans became more important than the people right in front of me, and even my own body telling me to rest.  The morning came and my daughter was snottier and I was worse, and I finally had the sense to realize that my wife was wise and spoke the truth.  It is so humbling to admit that you are wrong, and then the hard part is trying to change and not repeat the same mistake.

Winnie's naps similar to the story I shared, is another experience of me not being able to control the situation or a person.  Little babies have good days and bad, and my job is to show up with an open heart.   Laugh when my daughter wakes up smiling and laughing, and soothe her when she wakes up crying.  Back to this great experiment called parenting...   :) 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment